Saturday, July 6, 2013

Feline and human comfort

Hello there my interwebz friends! I don't have anything particularly wonderful to post today. Actually, it's been a little sad around my house because our 15 year old cat, Kelda, is not doing so well. In the past month, she started dropping weight while eating like she hadn't been feed in weeks. We began using three times as much cat food kitten chow a week (which severely cuts into the supply budget). Kitten chow is not cheap and we don't really have a store around here where you can get yourself 20lbs of kitten food. She also wants a heated bed most of the day:



She's a tiny cat to begin with, so we didn't think she could stand to loose more weight. Off to the vet we went. Guess what my husband is getting for his birthday? $220 worth of veterinary lab work! The vet had no answers for us other than Kelda has something wrong with her and can't afford to drop any of her 5lbs. We left the vet with no resolution, some medication to make her a bit more comfortable, and considerably less money in our wallet.

Kelda is still social, still bossy, but still not completely herself. She isn't playing at all, she doesn't want the other cats near her and she is still starving. The heartbreaking part is you can see she wants to play, wants to interact with her feline companions, but isn't feeling well enough. After a week, it's clear the medication isn't really helping much.

We are in kitty comfort mode. Kelda is getting extra treats, extra wet food, and extra love. I'm taking a lot of photos of Kelda and thinking about all the stories I have tell about her. Here are some of the stories already told (some are old, please forgive them... and since these are via flickr, you can click the images to see the credits):



mattnkelxmas123




keldadrinkingwaterw

keldasocuteBandWw

keldaWTFkittensw

mabew

keldasocutew

This is why we do what we do, right? We keep memories. It's comforting for me to know that no matter what happens with Kelda, I'll always have a piece of her on my pages. The good, the bad, the hilarious. I have more stories to tell, like how she decided when I was pregnant with my son that she would pretend to be a bird and my belly was her egg, and some I have written down in random places, for which I'm glad.

And I think I'll be using Story Coach to collect the rest.  I'll share more on that in a future post. Until then...

♥ Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Thanks for taking the time to comment. It is appreciated ♥