Friday, December 20, 2013

Purple toned snow

I admit it. I'm jealous of all my friends who've had snow, especially when a good portion of them live just across the Chesapeake Bay. All I want to is throw a snowball and make a snowman in December. Just once.

I made this layout expressing my yearning for the magic rain that falls from the sky using MSA's December Art Social (which you can grab for $1.99 with the awesome coupon).



Two things to note about this page:

1) Look at those purple tones I managed to use.
2) I grabbed a screen shot of our forecast for the week and used it here.

I let the paper and the screen shot dictate the design. The paper allowed for an obvious foreground and background and it made sense to me to use the screen shot as part of the scene. I used a blending mode (luminance I think) to get it to match the paper. The deer worked perfectly in the design and I built on the sweet curved line their antlers make by using the snowflakes.

This may be my trick for using purple in 2014: lean hard on things other than color.

In the end, I really like the page. I think it's cool to preserve the week's weather while expressing my dissatisfaction with it. It's going to be 60+ degrees today, which is 5 days before Christmas. When did I move to the Southern Hemisphere? Oh well. The day after I created this page, I woke up to this:


It melted by 10 am, but I'm glad I was able to see it. Asked and answered, right?

♥ Carrie


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Thanks for taking the time to comment. It is appreciated ♥